I have called my parents, and feel grateful for the simple fact that they are still alive.
Assuming that the next few hours bear some resemblance to today's plan, I am about to take a hot shower in a lovely house, put on a few layers of warm, dry clothing to take a half-cheese-covered, half-vegan casserole to the Zen Monastery where there will be a giant room (former grade school cafeteria) full of my dearest spiritual companions.
One practice Chozen Roshi has taught is that of connecting gratitude with this very moment. To cultivate gratitude in any moment, even while just sitting and breathing. With each breath, repeating the phrase, "This is what is being given to me now."
To be given life in every moment is such an incredible mystery. One that in moments of sanity, I can actually appreciate.And dogs. I so appreciate dogs. Maybe one is on its way to come and live with us someday soon. It's been almost a year since Cody died, and I find my heart opening more to the possibility of another dog. Here's some video medicine from the Oregon coast two weekends ago. May we all live with the exuberance and wholeheartedness of our canine Roshis.
Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment