Monday, February 27, 2012

Acedia III: Jomon vs Acedia

The day after writing about wrestling with the demon of Acedia, my husband picked up the Spring issue of Tricycle magazine.  Inside is a wonderful article called Into the Demon's Mouth by Aura Glaser.  You'll have to pick up the magazine to read the article, and I strongly recommend that you do.  
Wrestling + Swords. 
Aura Glaser is a dharma teacher and psychotherapist.  This article is about deeply accepting our demons, not trying to eradicate them.  She tells the story of Milarepa, who, upon finding his cave full of demons, attacks them, trying to forcibly evict them.  His efforts seem to cause them to settle in more.  


He then decides to teach them the Dharma.  An indirect effort at changing the situation.  Still the demons just stare at him, and continue to make themselves more comfortable.  


So he gives up, and figures he's now got a few stinky roommates.  He surrenders to his situation, looks into each of their faces, and bowing, opens himself to whatever they have to teach him.  And suddenly they all disappear.  


Except one.  The meanest-looking, scariest demon of them all.  So he goes right up to this demon, and offers himself completely to the demon as a meal.  Only then does the demon dissolve.  
Not wrestling.  
Andrew Solomon titled his book about depression The Noonday Demon.  Acedia has been referred to by this moniker as well. Whereas most demons like to hide under cover of darkness, this is a demon that seems to be unaffected by the light of day.  It is unapologetic about its existence.  Seeing it clearly does not move it.  Having insight about it does not change it.  It doesn't even blink when presented with Dharma teachings!


I know what I need to do.  
And that does not make me do it. 


In her wonderful article, Aura Glaser even references one of my favorite quotes by Carl Jung:  "We don't become enlightened by imagining beings of light but by making the darkness conscious."  But she left out the rest of the quote:  "The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable, and therefore not popular." 


This is where Acedia and the Dark Night of the Soul might intersect.    

4 comments:

Jomon said...

From my dear Dharma-Blogger friend Shane the Zenfant:

"take out the VS in that title. call it jomon wiggles in her acedia like a pig in shit. making it a battle is what prolongs it."

Unarguable wisdom from Texas, thank you ma'am!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! The pictures really make the meaning of "sitting" shine through for me...

Genju said...

The problem with going into the company of demons is -for me - the fear that I will discover I am one of their kind. And sometimes I am. But most times walking in the hell realms doesn't a demon make.

Just my experience. Which made it a tad easier to go visiting. ;-)

Jomon said...

Yes, I think it is for me a difference of acknowledging that I am already here, and taking a good look around, rather than frantically figuring out how to get outta here and / or waiting for it to be over.

"How can this visit be beneficial?" is a question I am also beginning to notice.